Friday, March 2, 2012

Getting Free Internet

If you buy a computer, these days it is probably a good idea to buy a laptop.  The laptop I am currently using happened to be a floor model.  It is Acer brand, and I am very happy with it, especially since with it I can do wireless internet.  Laptops are great these days because there are so many places with free internet.  That is there are several local places within a few minutes where wireless internet is available.  There is a local motel.  However, I stopped using them since it seemed like they were limiting my access.  Also, I felt like I couldn’t really offer them anything in return, since I could only use it in the parking lot.  I often use the internet at the Sandwich Public Library, Sandwich, MA.  They are great because they have a place I can plug in, such that my batteries don’t run out.  And, I use the free wireless at McDonald’s the most often, especially since they are open late hours.  Frankly, we don’t have the money to afford internet at home, and I would rather see that kind of money go to charity than to spend it selfishly.
I am not being selfish by going to McDonald’s or the using the local library.  I don’t believe accepting free gifts is a good idea.  For McDonalds, though I don’t get paid, I still try and off them something in return.  If I can, then I dress nicely when I go to McDonalds or buy a small soda.  Many people have told me that I look good, and though I am not growing any younger, I figure that I can be an advertisement for McDonalds to help make people want to go there.  That is, when I go to McDonalds I treat it like I am going to a job.  We should always look for what we can give to help.  Many people don’t like McDonald’s and I hope that through using the internet there, I can help turn some of peoples’ bad attitudes into good attitudes about McDonalds.  Really, I think there is nothing wrong with eating a little junk food now and then.  Most psychologists say that a little bit of vice is a good thing.  I imagine that McDonald’s started offering free internet because they figure that it can be profitable.  That is, people like me will go to McDonald’s, either to be around other people, or to use the internet, and then buy things while they are at it.  Many malls offer free internet for similar reasons.
The Sandwich Public Library, however is a nonprofit.  But, I figure that they profit by usage.  For example, if more people go there, then more people will get educated by their wonderful books and media.  So, by using the Sandwich Public Library for internet, I am being an advertisement as well.  I look good, and since I study, and act courteously with the librarians, hopefully by using the local library, I can be a benefit to our town.  And, in my opinion, good deeds anywhere, effect the world everywhere.  If nothing else, then my body heat is helping to reduce the library’s and McDonald’s heating bill.
Lastly, I know that it costs more to make a penny than a penny is worth, and that is a shame.  That means, we all need to work harder to see that our change is well spent.  We should consider the penny the most important unit of our currency, and not the dollar.  Therefore, by not overpaying for internet at home, I am helping, even if it is just a little bit, to improve the value of the dollar.  I feel that it is important for me to use the internet, especially I try not to squander my time when I use the internet.  Generally, when I use the internet, I think:  What can I give, not what can I get.  With any luck, if more people are like me, the price of internet at homes will go down.

No comments:

Post a Comment