Sunday, August 12, 2012

Electronic Dictionary Idea


Dear Merriam-Webster,
For as long as I can remember, that is even as a child, Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary has had superior quality, and has been the very foundation of my word usage in English.  That old dictionary got tattered due to years of constant use, such that it came time to buy a dictionary again, this time it was Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate dictionary as both a book and a computer program for my computer.  For me this means that even if I can’t find the book, I know where it is.  All I have to do is boot my computer, and load the program.
This letter is a suggestion about a possible way that the computer program may be improved.  I am suggesting that one not only has the choice of searching via spelling, but also searching in word definitions.  My reasoning for this is that words often come in groups, such that when one is able to find the spelling of a word, it would be of assistance to be able to search for some words that essentially correlate to that word via searching within word definitions.  That is, I hope that this letter may be of assistance to Merriam-Webster.

Sincerely,
Craig Hamilton

No comments:

Post a Comment