Saturday, May 30, 2015

Porcupine Tree and The Mozart Effect

Was chatting with my wife today, and I mentioned that it is getting to be longer, and longer for bands to be successful. She set me straight. In my words, “In pop music they can’t be young enough.” However differently, I look for more than fluff, so that is what I see. What I am talking about may be called (in my own words), “The Mozart Affect.” Specifically, what I mean is that Mozart in all his grandeur was not a success in his lifetime. This affliction is not new. For many artists, take for instance the painter Vincent van Gogh who may have never even sold a painting in his lifetime, this is true, meaning that his works upon passing became priceless.
Below I use the Porcupine Tree discography to illustrate my idea.
Including, all releases (no promotional stuff), the following is a discography up to the first charting selection by year, which with Porcupine Tree it happened to be a single, though they eventually came to have charting albums. It was 20 releases later, and it barely charted.

No comments:

Post a Comment