Thursday, February 23, 2012

Eating the Apple Core

I don’t mean to suggest that the apple core is the tastiest part of the apple. However, a lot of work goes into apple picking. Apples are heavy and picking them is back breaking work. So, even if you don’t care about saving money, save someone’s back. Maybe, if you save an apple picker’s back, one day your back will be saved. The same is true for all the people that work in the supply chain to make sure that apple gets from the tree to your belly.

Apple cores are perfectly edible. Nothing special needs to be done with them. I usually eat the bottom off the apple, and then work my way up to the stem. I don’t eat the stem.

If you eat the apple core, then you will be adding fiber to your diet, which is a good thing. If you have the money to throw out apple cores, why be wasteful? Just think; you’ll save yourself the extra effort of lugging it to the dump. And, you say, “It’s not a problem to bring a few apple cores to the dump,” well as my dad says, “Pennies make dollars.” Maybe in a lifetime eating apple cores will only save you one trip to the dump. However, I try to avoid trips to the dump. I was raised with a pennies make dollars mentality. I try to get the most bang for my buck. So, I not only eat the meat of the apple. I also eat the apple core.

No comments:

Post a Comment