Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Praise for the Customer Service at the Local Stop & Shop in Sandwich, MA

I came across a rather confusing coupon given to me by Stop &Shop.  The coupon was for the A+ rewards program.  I know that that means that Stop & Shop contributes to schools based upon what one buys if an item gives A+ points.  That is, A+ points benefit the community.  To see children grow up with a school system that values them, and a town that is willing to assist that is a wonderful thing.  Thus, I see that A+ rewards are a good thing, even if they don’t directly result in savings.  I am glad that it is offered, and I hope that people support it.
The coupon I had actually said $1 off 20 cans, and $0.50 off 6 cans.  I bought a package of 24 cans.  The coupon said that it was not subject to doubling.  However, though there was a dotted line on the coupon, I was not sure if it was one coupon or two coupons, especially since the coupon only had 1 bar code that could be scanned.
Sue is a lady that usually works nights at the register.  She probably doesn’t have to.  She probably could get by on Social Security, as she is older.  I think that it is wonderful that she has continued working, and through her work, I believe that she can be a blessing to our town.  She serves customers with a smile.  She has always been polite, and nice in the sense of being accurate, and not the archaic meaning of being wishy-washy.  I took my coupon to Sue, and asked her, “If I buy 2 more cans will I get $0.50 off?”  Her reply was no, since the coupon said that it was not subject to doubling.  In that language, I was unsure if that meant doubling itself, or doubling with other coupons.  However, something still wasn’t making sense.  That is, if I bought 20 cans, then I had already bought 6 cans and since this was a single coupon, I should get $1.50 off and not just $1 off.  Sue was kind, and on the error on the part of the store entered an additional $.50 off several times, and called the manager over and kindly asked the manager why the register was acting the way it was.  The manager didn’t have a clue.  Then, another customer came further compounding the problem situation, as we didn’t want to make him wait in order to be served.
A resolution was reached.  Sue would give me $0.50 out of her drawer.  That’s good business for as far as I am concerned, the customer is almost always right.  Having worked registers at various stores myself, I know that if your register comes up short, then you often get a written warning, or something like that.  Sue risked a warning by giving me that money.  However, I took the $0.50 and put it in the charity box that Stop & Shop has at the local store.  That way, I can know that if Sue gets heckled for doing what she did, she is being heckled over money given to charity.  And, she knows that to, so Gd give her strength if anyone decides to be mean to her!  However, that sort of immoral practice does not seem to be the norm at the local.
I was very proud to be a good customer, doing business the old-fashioned way.  In fact, the man who was waiting in line and others may have received a few pointers not only from Sue, but also from me.
1.       Sue and I discussed the A+ rewards program, such that the man waiting in line may have heard about it, and that this sort of charity is important.
2.       One of the products I got during this trip I had accidently left, the last time I was at the store was waiting for me.  I was not charged.  The product was a shoe cleaning kit, designed to help clean shoes to make them last longer.  I usually have leather shoes, or some leather in my shoes, such that they last longer and are definitely worth paying for a Kiwi kit to fix up.  The service desk looked up the transaction, and said that I could have the kit for free because it was turned in.  That is the kid working the desk should learn that even after a few days have passed, it is not too late to ask about a missing item.
3.       Then, not one but three people saw me with the kit.  The man behind me, waiting in line.  He was middle aged.  Many people have forgotten that there are such things as shoe cleaning kits, and possibly I reminded him of that.  Sue saw it, and she probably felt that proud that someone in her town was going to try to make their shoes last longer.  And, the young man working at the service desk may have gotten the idea that making shoes last longer is cool.
4.       I used a coupon to save money on the diapers I was buying.
5.       Two witnesses saw that I put the $0.50 that Sue gave me from her drawer into the charity box, which Stop & Shop so kindly makes readily available at their checkout counters.

No comments:

Post a Comment