Tuesday, April 17, 2012

CCRTA – In Search of Inexpensive Public Transportation

I sent the letter below to CCRTA on the listed date. It has now been several days, and I have not even received word as to whether or not my message was received. It is generally a good idea for a website to give notice users that request information at least an email saying that their site was contacted. An actual thought out response may take longer.

4/12/2012

Dear Cape Cod Regional Transit Authority,

I live on 6A in Sandwich, MA and my family can walk to the local Stop & Shop, or to a place in the vicinity for pick up for car pooling. This email is being sent with regards to the Mashpee/Sandwich/Sagamore CCRTA bus route.

My family may be interested in occasionally attending the Cape Cod Citizen’s Bank Summer Concert Series. The places I am most interested in attending these events are Mashpee Commons and Sandwich MA. I am not sure where the Sandwich concert events are going to be. However, for the last two years it has been within walking distance from Sandwich Town Hall. If you are interested in accommodating people for these events, it may be wisest to contact Citizen’s bank for things such as event times, event dates, and event locations. I can walk to the Henry T. Wing School from my house. However, my 4yr old can’t.

I have a Medicare card. My wife and my 4 year old son do not have Medicare cards. Can I purchase tickets for my wife and son at the Medicare rate if I am the one purchasing the tickets? Where do I purchase tickets from?

Usually, I can drive, but I think it is wisest to do some sort of carpooling method in order to keep gasoline usage to a minimum. My family currently has a 2001 Hyundai Elantra that gets good gas mileage, however, the fewer people that use a gasoline engine to travel from Sandwich to Mashpee Commons, etc., will probably be beneficial for everybody. For example, if everyone traveled from Sandwich to Mashpee Commons or from one place in Sandwich to another place in Sandwich in a single vehicle, as opposed to several vehicles it would probably be less expensive for everybody.

Using the internet, I can probably figure out how much the average 2001 Hyundai Elantra gets for a trip to either Mashpee Commons using the national gasoline price average. However, the price of gasoline is subject to variation before the Summer Concert Series starts. I can probably estimate the cost now, but that may be different come July or June. If it is to my financial advantage, then CCRTA will be my first choice. However, if it is more expensive for me, then I will drive myself even though that may be more expensive for tax payers. Additionally, I am unable to account for bridge related traffic, which may alter the cost of a personal trip.

I am also a Bourne, Braves team of the Cape Cod Baseball League (CCBL), sometimes called the Cape League, fan and have seen buses in the parking lots of games. I am not sure if these buses are affiliated with CCRTA. If it is to my financial advantage, I would occasionally also take a bus Bourne Braves games, especially if it is possible to see the entire game. Will you be accommodating people for these games? The season starts in June.

I may also be interested in CCRTA for travel to Sagamore for internet usage, once the new McDonalds is built, so I am also interested in traveling there in a way cost effective for me. I am capable of walking to the McDonald’s in Sagamore for internet usage when it is available. However, in inclement weather, or given time constraint, I would most likely prefer CCRTA if it is affordable.

Internet email is my preferred communication method as I often have difficulty with auditory comprehension. My hearing is great. However, my ability to interpret what people is subject to extreme variation. I do not have a hearing aid for this, not do I think that there is such a thing as a device that assists one in auditory comprehension. If the only method available for communication is via phone, then I will ask the person on the other end to allow me to use speaker phone, such that I can record the message for later deciphering.

If I am unable to save money using a bus system, which should ultimately save tax payers money, then, this email will be blogged and made available publically.

Sincerely,

Craig N Hamilton

HOMEWORK:

The following part of this blog below was not a part of the message sent to CCRTA. However, it is homework that I did on the subject.

Hyundai Elantra 2001 gas mileage

21 miles per gallon – city http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/16642.shtml

Cost to drive 25 miles @ $3.94 per gallon.

Mashpee is 12.4 miles each way. 22min. 25 miles of trip. Available at Google Maps.

25mi * $3.94/21mi = $4.69 per trip using an average 2001 Hyundai Elantra

Current CCRTA Price, unknown, as I am still waiting for CCRTA to get back to me. It depends whether or not I am able to buy tickets for my family at the Medicare rate. If I am unable to, then the CCRTA price is not cost effective for me. Currently, I do not have enough money to purchase tickets, so I will wait for a later date to see if I can use my Medicare card to purchase tickets for family.

No comments:

Post a Comment