Friday, June 15, 2012

On The McDonald's Predicament with Regards to Providing Health Care

Says the manager at McDonald's to me as he is cleaning up the parking lot,"I wish my maintenance man was here (so I could delegate this task to him)," which he then pointed out how he wished McDonald's would have cigarette ashtrays on the property." Seeing this as a job opportunity, I said to him, "Maybe it is to help people not to smoke." At which point he didn't seem pleased, such that I had frustrated him. However, the truth is that smoking is exceptionally expensive for McDonald's because as a corporation they probably spend a significant amount of money doing this by paying taxes of which money should theoretically be subtracted out for health care costs. The manager complained how it takes him an hour to clean up the parking lot. That is unfortunate, but if I were the person above him, I would say, "Maybe if you desire to have these ashtrays, then you should stop cleaning up the parking lot, which did indeed have a lot of cigarette remains. In my experience, McDonald's is not a dumb company, such that the math has been done that the prevalence of cigarette smoking is most likely more expensive than paying someone, either a manager, or a maintenance person to pick up the parking lot is less expensive to McDonald's than cigarette smoking itself, such that it is profitable for McDonald's to discourage smoking through not providing ash trays even in the parking lot.  Thus, it is such that McDonald's may deserve a break on some of their taxes for seemingly attempting to get people to quite, but forcing McDonald's to pay healthcare taxes is reason for the company to provide high quality service that is healthy and less expensive for our country.

No comments:

Post a Comment